Golovkin’s world title fight in Japan postponed due to COVID-19

FILE IMAGE. Kazakh boxer Gennady Golovkin sits behind his champion belts during a press conference at the MGM Grand hotel and casino in Las Vegas, USA. September 13, 2017. REUTERS / Las Vegas Sun / Steve Marcus

Dec 3 (Reuters) – Gennady Golovkin’s world title fight against Ryota Murata in Japan has been postponed due to the global spread of the omicron variant of the coronavirus, promoters said on Friday.

Kazakh Golovkin, the IBF / IBO champion, and the WBA monarch Murata, were due to meet on December 29 in Saitama for a middleweight title unification bout.

“I am deeply disappointed that this fight has been postponed, but the health and safety of the public must always be the priority,” Golovkin said in a statement. “I hope to get back in the ring against Ryota as soon as possible.”

A new date for the fight has yet to be set.

The decision to postpone the fight comes after Japan took some of the strictest measures globally on Monday by closing its borders to foreigners for about a month in light of the rise of omicron.

For Golovkin (41-1-1, 36 KO), the fight was going to be his first since December last year when he beat Kamil Szeremeta.

Murata (16-2, 13 KO), who won gold at the 2012 London Olympics, last fought in December 2019 when he retained his title against Canadian Steven Butler.

(Report by Frank Pingue in Toronto, Edited in Spanish by Javier Leira)



Reference-www.infobae.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *