Three weeks after the coup: dead in mass protests in Sudan

Status: 11/13/2021 6:43 p.m.

After the military came to power in Sudan, tens of thousands again took to the streets against the coup plotters. At least five people were killed. Doctors report on the use of live ammunition by security forces.

Less than three weeks after the military coup in Sudan, tens of thousands of people across the country protested against the impending end of democratic reforms.

In the capital, Khartoum, and the neighboring city of Omdurman, soldiers and police used force against the protests. At least five demonstrators were killed by gunfire or the use of tear gas, according to doctors.

Reports of live ammunition use

According to a pro-democracy medical organization, security forces also used live ammunition. Many injured people are being treated in the capital’s hospitals, the doctors’ association said. Unions and pro-democracy groups reported arrests.

Further protests were reported from the southern city of Wad Madani, from Port Sudan on the Red Sea and the eastern state of Kassala.

The military took power in Sudan on October 25th. The civilian members of the transitional government, which took office after the overthrow of long-time ruler Omar al-Bashir in 2019, were arrested. Since then there have been protests.

New government just announced so far

The leader of the putschists, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, declared a state of emergency and announced the rapid formation of a new government. However, their appointment is a long time coming. The fact that Burhan reappointed himself on Thursday as head of the military-led Sovereignty Council, which was supposed to lead the country to free elections, caused renewed anger in the ranks of the democracy movement.

This council also includes a few well-known representatives of civil society – but not a single representative of the Alliance Forces for Freedom and Change (FFC), which successfully organized the popular uprising against al-Bashir two years ago.

The UN envoy in Sudan, Volker Perthes, called on the security forces to be extremely restrained. He warned the demonstrators to uphold the principle of peaceful protest. According to Sudanese doctors and the UN, at least 15 protesters have been killed since the seizure of power.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *